So what can you do to help stop the misuse of antibiotics and prevent the growth of superbugs?
- Be a responsible consumer: Purchase meat, poultry, milk and eggs from companies and farmers that don't routinely feed their animals antibiotics
- Cut down on your antibiotic use: Don't take antibiotics unless you actually have a bacterial infection. Antibiotics won't help a cold or virus and taking them for illnesses they can't treat helps contribute to antibiotic resistance.
- Make your voice heard: Join the Citizens Against Superbugs campaign and sign the Superbug Petition and tell the President of the United States to stop the misuse of antibiotics in food animal production.
- Support the FDA's proposed rule to limit the use of cephalosporins in food production -- and let them know they should do more by commenting on the page.
- Spread the word: Tell all your friends and family members why you oppose the misuse of antibiotics in food animals -- and why they should too!