Chickpea, Kale and Sausage Soup
Homemade soup on the table in 30 minutes? You bet. This minestrone-inspired soup makes a complete and delicious meal as it is, but feel free to add a scoop or two of cooked ditalini or macaroni.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package Applegate Organics®
Spinach & Feta Sausage, sliced
- Crumbled feta cheese, for serving
- Red hot pepper flakes, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the kale and chickpeas, reduce the heat and simmer until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Season the soup with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Add the sausage to the soup and cook until heated through.
- Divide the soup among bowls and serve garnished with crumbled feta and red hot pepper flakes on the side.