Mini Quiches with Bacon & Mushrooms
Talk about versatile—these deeply satisfying little custards work as well with a glass of champagne at a cocktail party as they do with a cup of coffee at brunch.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly oil 48 mini muffin cups.
- Put the garlic cloves in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the quartered mushrooms to the processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Change the blade on the food processor to the grater attachment and grate the cheese; transfer to a separate bowl.
- Cook the chopped bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are deeply browned and the moisture they have released has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the parsley.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk.
- To assemble, put a pinch of shredded cheese in the bottom of each oiled muffin cup.
- Divide the mushroom mixture evenly among the muffin cups (about ½ teaspoon per cup), followed by the egg mixture (about 1 tablespoon per cup).
- Bake the quiches until puffed and golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Let the quiches cool for 10 minutes before running a knife around the edge of each quiche and popping it out.
- Serve right away or, to serve later, transfer the quiches to a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze until the quiches are frozen firm. Transfer the quiches to an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 1 month. To reheat, bake in a 400°F oven until warm through, 8 to 10 minutes.