This recipe works equally well whether you use our organic turkey or organic beef burgers to make this chili con carne - either way it will be delicious.
We suggest that you make this chili a day before you plan to serve it, because its flavor only gets better.
Makes 10 cups
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 12 organic beef burgers, or Applegate Organic Turkey Burgers (from 3 one-pound boxes), thawed
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers, stemmed and finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Heat the oil in a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft, 10–15 minutes.
- Add the burger meat to the pot, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of the spoon, until it is no longer pink.
- Stir in the jalapeños, chili powder, cumin, and salt and cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, vinegar, and one cup of water and stir until well combined.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover the pot, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until chili has thickened, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover pot and continue to cook chili until thick, about 30 minutes more.
Adjust seasonings to your particular tastes, then prepare to become famous for your chili. It's an awesome responsibility to be the “Chili Go-To Person” in your group, but the rewards in party invitations are many!
Print This Recipe