Choucroute is a healthy side dish of slowly cooked sauerkraut and sausage that’s typically served for Sunday supper in Alsace, the small French city that borders Germany. Our Piglets en Croute were inspired by the flavors of this quaint region.
Yields 42 Bites
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, halved lengthwise, sliced into very thin half moon slices
- 2 small tart apples, such as Jonathan, quartered, cored, diced small
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 package (17.5 oz. average) frozen puff pastry, 2 sheets per package
- 1 Package Applegate Greatest Little Organic Smokey Pork Cocktail Franks
Printable Shopping List
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet over med-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add diced apple and cook mixture until lightly browned.
- Add apple cider and increase heat to high.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is evaporated.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Lay a sheet of waxed paper on work surface and place pastry on top.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the dough into 1½'' x 3'' strips.
- Spoon a teaspoon of apple filling at one end of each pastry strip.
- Top with a cocktail frank and roll toward the other end.
- Place wrapped franks seam side down on a cookie sheet and bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with Dijon mustard for a completely yummy snack that pumps up any party!
Print This Recipe