Sausage Cornbread Dressing with Green Chiles
A little spicy, a little sweet, this fluffy stuffing makes a fine accompaniment to roast turkey and a swirl of gravy. The stuffing can be assembled the day before and refrigerated, tightly covered.
- 2 (8-inch) pans of cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, plus more for buttering the pan
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped roasted green chiles
- 2 (7-ounce) packages Applegate Naturals®
Chicken & Apple Breakfast Sausage, defrosted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter a large gratin dish.
- Spread the cubes of cornbread out onto a large baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring once, until dried and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chiles, sausage, and thyme and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and transfer to a large bowl. Add the toasted cornbread and toss gently to combine.
- Whisk together the chicken broth and eggs and pour over the cornbread mixture. Toss gently until evenly moistened. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to the buttered gratin dish and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour, then remove the foil and continue to bake until the top is toasty and golden brown, about 15 minutes more.