Don’t be afraid to make this classic New Orleans sandwich ahead of time. It gets better as it sits and the flavors of the olive salad soak into the roll.
Muffuletta Salad -
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- ½ cup giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetables)
- 2 large pepperoncini, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed if salted
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Spoon a generous amount of the olive salad on the bottom half of the roll.
- Top the salad with the slices of cheese, ham, salami, and top half of roll.
- To serve, cut in half or in quarters.
Muffuletta Olive Salad
- Combine everything but the parsley in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the parsley.
- The olive salad keeps, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 week.