The Nigerian Club
With its balance of sweet (the slaw) and savory flavors (the sardine butter), this four-layer club from Nigeria would make a nice accompaniment to drinks, anything from ice-cold beer to Negronis.
- 4 canned sardine fillets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- ½ plum tomato, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- 16 slices thin white sandwich bread, crusts cut off
- 8 slices Applegate Naturals®
Oven Roasted Chicken Breast
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- In a small bowl, mash the sardines with a fork.
- Add the softened butter and mash together until smooth and well combined. Set aside.
- Stir together the shredded cabbage, carrot, tomato, and mayonnaise in a bowl until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, lay a piece of bread on your work surface.
- Spread a thin layer of sardine butter over the bread, then top with 1 slice of chicken breast.
- Top with another piece of bread, and spread some of the cabbage slaw over it.
- Arrange a few slices of hard-boiled egg over the slaw, then top with a third slice of bread.
- Lay 1 slice of chicken breast over the bread.
- Spread a thin layer of sardine butter over a fourth slice of bread and lay it over the chicken, buttered-side down.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve.