For the Avocado and Egg
- Halve the avocado lengthwise. Remove the pit and carefully remove the peel.
- Place each avocado half on a plate. (To make the avocado a little more stable, use a sharp knife to remove a thin slice from the bottom of the avocado.)
- Peel the egg and cut in half. Nestle one egg half in the hollow of each avocado.
- Sprinkle the bacon dust evenly over the avocados and eggs and serve at once.
For the Bacon Dust
Use this flavorful sprinkle in place of salt whenever you want a jolt of savory, protein-rich flavor. Try it on baked potatoes, popcorn, salads, fried eggs and more. The key to a fine “dust” is to make sure you cook your bacon until very crisp.
Makes about 1/2 cup
- Cook the bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat, flipping once, until well browned and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- When the bacon is completely cool and very crisp, crumble it into large pieces and place in a small food processor or spice grinder.
- Process the bacon until very finely ground. Transfer to a small bowl. If not using at once, the bacon dust can be tightly wrapped and refrigerated for up to 3 days.