Wrapping a portion of vegetables in bacon and roasting them until tender makes such a pretty (and delicious!) package. You can replace the carrots and parsnips here with different vegetables in different seasons…say, asparagus and scallions in the spring or green and yellow squash in the summer. In that case, par-cook the bacon first for about 5 minutes, then wrap it around the veg and roast for 10 to 12 minutes—those tender vegetables need less time to cook.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel the carrots and parsnips. Cut the carrots lengthwise into quarters. Cut the parsnips lengthwise, cutting out the core if it seems especially woody.
- Toss the vegetables with the oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Divide the mixed vegetables into 6 portions.
- Wrap a strip of bacon around the center of each bundle and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the bacon is crisp and the vegetables are tender, 15 to 18 minutes.