Black Bean and Bacon Tacos with Cabbage Slaw & Queso Fresco
Taco night is a great way to encourage everyone to get in on the action—kids can lend a hand prepping the ingredients and always enjoy customizing their own plates. Turkey bacon, cumin and chili powder are quick ways to add smokiness and depth to canned beans.
- 1 pound green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 small bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Naturals® Turkey Bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chili powder
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8-ounce) package queso fresco, crumbled
- 18 corn tortillas
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Place the sliced cabbage in a bowl and squeeze the juice of 3 lime quarters over it. Season with ½ teaspoon salt. Add the chopped cilantro and toss well. Set aside to marinate.
- Squeeze the juice of the remaining 1 lime quarter over the chopped avocado and toss gently.
- Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp and browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, the bell pepper and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cumin and chili powder, then add the drained beans. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook until fragrant and warmed through, about 5 minutes. Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat a large, dry pan over medium heat until hot. Working in batches, warm the tortillas for 20 to 30 seconds per side, or until soft and pliable. As you work, stack the toasted tortillas in a clean kitchen towel or piece of aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Fill each tortilla with a spoonful of the bean and bacon mixture. Serve the cabbage slaw, avocado, queso fresco and hot sauce on the side.