Candied Bacon Popcorn Balls
Ditch the candy bars and make this easy old-fashioned snack to hand out at Halloween. Crisp nuggets of candied bacon add a sweet-salty hit to every bite. The candy syrup hardens as it cools, so be prepared to work quickly when shaping the balls.
- 10 cups freshly popped popcorn
- 1 recipe Pumpkin Pie Spiced Candied Bacon, chopped
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Combine the popcorn and chopped bacon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar, maple syrup and water in a heavy saucepan; clip a candy thermometer to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, swirling the pan occasionally, and boil it until it reaches 250°F on the thermometer.
- When it does, remove from the heat and stir in the butter and pumpkin pie spice. Immediately pour the mixture over the popcorn and bacon and stir quickly with a rubber spatula to combine thoroughly.
- As soon as it is just cool enough to handle, quickly gather up handfuls of the mixture and roll into 3-inch balls. Arrange on a sheet of wax paper to cool completely.
- The popcorn balls can be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container.