Columbia, SC Dog
Columbia, SC Dog: Pimiento Cheese, Yellow Mustard and Diced Onions
Pimiento cheese is a Southern classic, and its sharp creaminess turns out to be a natural with hot dogs.
- 4 ounces extra-sharp white cheddar, finely grated
- 4 ounces extra-sharp yellow cheddar, finely grated
- ½ cup pimientos, drained and finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Grill hot dogs to desired doneness.
- Arrange hot dogs in toasted buns and spread a spoonful of pimiento cheese over each.
- Top each with a drizzle of mustard and a scattering of onions
This classic Southern spread is equally delicious with crackers or crudités or as a sandwich spread—try it with grilled chicken breast, ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced onions, and crisp lettuce.
Makes about 1½ cups
- Combine the cheeses, pimientos, and mayonnaise in a mixing bowl and stir together well.
- Season to taste with salt and plenty of pepper.
- Pack into a small crock and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours for flavors to develop.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.