- Grill hot dogs to desired doneness.
- Arrange hot dogs in toasted buns.
- Top each hot dog with ketchup, mustard and a spoonful of relish.
Homemade Cucumber Relish
Making a batch of this relish takes some time but very little effort, and your cookouts will benefit all summer long.
Makes about 3 pints
- Wash the cucumbers and bell peppers well, then cut into ¼-inch dice. Finely chop the onion and combine with the other vegetables in a large bowl. You should have about 6 cups total.
- Sprinkle the turmeric over the vegetables. Stir the salt into the 4 cups water until dissolved. Pour the brine over the vegetables and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours.
- Drain well then cover vegetables with fresh cool water. Let stand 1 hour then drain.
- Wrap the spices in a small square of cheesecloth and tie to secure. Combine the brown sugar, vinegar and spice bag in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture over the drained vegetables and refrigerate, uncovered, overnight (and up to 18 hours).
- Transfer the relish mixture to a small pot and bring to a boil. Pack the boiling-hot relish into hot, sterilized jars; seal at once. Let stand at least 3 days before eating.