Macadamia Stuffed Squash
Thanks to Amie V. from NY who won the Applegate 2010 Recipe Challenge for submitting this tasty recipe for “Macadamia Stuffed Squash.”
- 4 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups whole grain bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (from a small orange)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange peel zest
- Dash of sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices Applegate Naturals®
Probiotic Yogurt Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a baking pan, drizzled with olive oil, place squash halves cut side down.
- Add 3/4'' of water and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- In a large pot, sauté onions and mushrooms in the olive oil; cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add spices and vegetable stock.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Slowly add orange juice, balsamic vinegar and bread cubes; sauté for another 4-6 minutes; remove from heat.
- Add in macadamia nuts, dried cranberries, basil, cilantro, orange zest, sea salt and pepper; mix well.
- Fill each baked squash half with cooked wild rice, then macadamia nut filling.
- Top each squash half with a slice of Applegate Natural Probiotic Yogurt Cheese.
- Return stuffed squash to the oven to bake for another 20 minutes. Enjoy!
[Warning: Due to CPAG (Chef Picking at Ingredients) Syndrome, you may find it necessary to purchase more macadamia nuts than will actually be used in this recipe.]