The Tumbleweed Dog Organic Hot Dog
After you’re done eating this recipe, you’d be ready to up root and tumble away in the wind! Our antibiotic-free hot dogs that don’t have any fillers and are only made with whole muscle meat will surely have you tumbling back for more!
- Cook a pot of chili con carne and some baked beans ahead of time.
- Grate a bowl full of Applegate Naturals®
Extra Sharp Aged Cheddar Cheese
- Fry up bell peppers and Applegate Organics®
Hot Dogs and onions
- Simmer sauerkraut with caraway seeds.
- Make a batch of tender home fries.
- Crisp-fry some sweet onion rings.
- Set out all the food on one big table and let your friends and family help themselves - topping their hot dogs just the way they like.
- Pour some tangy smoky BBQ sauce (2 - 3 tablespoons) on your dog then pile crisp-fried sweet onion rings (about 1/4 cup; see recipe below) on top.
Crisp Fried Sweet Onion Rings
Makes 4 - 6 cups
- Peel 2 large sweet yellow onions (such as Vidalias or Texas Sweets), slice crosswise into medium-thick rounds, and separate all the rounds into individual rings.
- Put 2 cups all-purpose flour into a large bowl and season with one tablespoon salt and one tablespoon cayenne.
- Dredge the onion rings in the seasoned flour and set aside.
- Working in batches to avoid crowding the skillet, fry the onion rings in a large deep skillet of hot vegetable oil over medium-high heat, turning them as they brown, until golden and crisp, 3 - 5 minutes per batch.
- Drain the onion rings on paper towels and season to your taste with salt while still warm.
Good friends, good food, good times!