San Diego Dog
A cool green salsa made from tomatillos cuts the richness of this Sonoran-inspired bacon-wrapped dog.
- 1 pound tomatillos
- ½ small white onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 fresh jalapeño, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown and softened, 8–10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Wrap 1 slice of bacon around each hot dog, using wooden picks to help it stick, if needed. Grill the bacon-wrapped hot dogs until the bacon is crisp.
- To serve, remove any wooden picks from the hot dogs and arrange the hot dogs in the toasted buns. Top hot dogs with the peppers and onions and a spoonful of salsa verde.
This fresh salsa is wonderful with tortilla chips, over tacos and on your morning eggs.
Makes about 2 cups
- Husk the tomatillos and rinse under warm water to wash off any sticky residue.
- Quarter the tomatillos and put in a blender or food processor, along with the onions, cilantro, jalapeño and salt.
- Process until smooth then refrigerate until ready to serve.