Whole30 Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
This Whole30 chili is a good reminder that our Applegate Organics® Turkey Burgers can be used just like regular ground turkey: break up the burgers with a wooden spoon as they cook with all the veggies.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package Applegate Organics®
Turkey Burgers, not defrosted
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Naturals®
Turkey Bacon, divided
- ¼ cup chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces Whole30-compliant chicken bone broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy pot over moderately high heat. Add the onion, celery, bell peppers, jalapeño and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the frozen burgers and half of the chopped bacon (save the remaining bacon to cook for the garnish) to the pot and cook, breaking up the burgers with a wooden spoon, until burger meat is crumbled and no longer pink, 5–8 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the bone broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the sweet potato and simmer gently until sweet potato is tender and the chili has thickened a bit, 30-40 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While chili is cooking, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over moderate heat. Add the remaining chopped bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 5–8 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the chili into warm bowls. Garnish with the crisp bacon and chopped cilantro.