"All American" Sweet Potato Dog with Cole Slaw
Photography by: Sarah Steffens
Melissa Urban, co-creator of Whole30, suggests using a baked sweet potato as a nutrient-dense “bun” alternative. She also suggests wrapping your hot dog in bacon…what’s more American than that?
Watch the video"All American" Sweet Potato Dog with Cole Slaw
Serves 6 | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 packs of Applegate Naturals® Beef Hot Dogs
- 6 slices of Applegate Naturals® No Sugar Bacon, cut in half
- 4 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 4 radicchio leaves, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 whole scallions, minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp., black pepper
- 1 Tbs. dried fennel seeds
- Juice from ½ lime
- Whole30 compliant Mustard
- Whole30 compliant Mayo
- Bake your sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees, until soft, about 45 minutes.
- While your sweet potatoes are baking, gently toss all your cole slaw ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Wrap ½ slice of bacon around each hot dog.
- Fire up your grill or grill pan (if inside) and heat hot dogs through, until your bacon is cooked and your hot dogs have nice grill lines.
- Serve inside a baked sweet potato that has been slit down the middle, along with garnishes and a big scoop of cole slaw.