Apple Tart with Sharp Cheddar Crust & Maple Whip
A big slab pie is an easy way to serve a crowd, and this one has the perfect ratio of sweet, juicy apples to crisp crust. A generous amount of cheddar worked into the pastry dough—a play on the tradition of eating apple pie with a slice of cheese—adds a welcome hit of sharpness.
Serves 12 | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
For the crust
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ sticks (12 tablespoons) very cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Naturals® Medium Cheddar Cheese, finely chopped
- 8 to 10 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
- 4 pounds McIntosh apples (about 12 apples), peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- To make the crust, combine the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and cheese and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- With the processor running, drizzle enough ice water through the feed tube until the dough just comes together (you may not use all of the water).
- Remove the dough from the processor, shape into a disc, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (and up to 2 days) before rolling out.
- To make the filling, combine the apples, cider, syrup, butter, and cinnamon in a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Simmer, stirring gently, just until the apples soften a bit and become glazed (you don’t want them turning to mush), about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface into a 15 x 20-inch rectangle (don’t worry if the dough tears—you can patch it). Fit the dough into a 13 x 18-inch baking sheet, trimming it to fit, and folding the edges down to reinforce the sides of the tart.
- Spread the cooled apple filling evenly over the dough.
- Bake the tart until the crust is crisp and golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes.
- While the tart bakes, combine the cream and maple syrup and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve the apple tart warm or at room temperature with dollops of whipped cream.