Beans, Greens and Sausage Soup
For this hearty soup, we play with the flavors of our Organics® Spinach and Feta Sausage—stirring in big handfuls of baby spinach and cooking it until silky but still bright green and sprinkling crumbles of briny feta over the finished soup.
Serves 4 to 6 | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 (14-ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups chicken broth or water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package Applegate Organics® Spinach & Feta Sausage, sliced
- 1 (5-ounce) package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- Crumbled feta, for serving
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle about 2 cups of the bean mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Stir back into the soup. Add the sausage and simmer until heated through.
- Just before serving, stir the spinach into the soup and cook until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the soup among bowls and top with crumbled feta. Serve crushed red pepper flakes on the side.