Guava and Cheese Toasties
This quick snack has the flavors of a Cuban pastelito—buttery pastry filled with guava paste and cheese, a satisfying mix of sweet and savory. You can find canned guava paste in the Latin section of most grocery stores. If you don’t have a sandwich press, you can cook this in a skillet on the stovetop.
Serves 2 | Total Time: Less Than 15 Mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 thin slices white bread
- 4 slices Applegate Naturals® American-Style Colby Cheese
- 6 slices canned guava paste
- Butter the outsides of the bread and arrange 2 slices, butter side down, on a sandwich press. Lay 1 slice of cheese over each piece of bread, followed by 3 slices of guava paste and the remaining slice of cheese. Top with the remaining bread, butter side up.
- Close the sandwich press and cook over medium heat until toasties are golden brown and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the toasties from the press, cut in half and serve at once.