Ham, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Puffs
Flaky layers of puff pastry surround a traditional breakfast combo of ham, egg and cheese. Scoring a border around the edges of the puff pastry means the sides can rise higher than the center, making room for the filling.
Makes 6 puffs | Total Time: Less Than 30 Mins
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- 6 slices Applegate Naturals® Black Forest Ham
- 6 slices Applegate Naturals® American-Style Colby Cheese
- 6 small eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the puff pastry out on a lightly floured work surface and gently roll out until the sheet is slightly bigger. Cut the dough into 6 rectangles and transfer to the lined baking sheet.
- Using the tip of a paring knife, lightly score a border about ½ inch from the edge of each piece of dough. Prick the dough inside the border all over with a fork (this will keep the inside from puffing up too much during baking).
- Cut each slice of ham in half and lay 2 pieces inside the border of each piece of puff pastry (you may have to trim them slightly to make them fit; add any scraps on top). Top with a slice of cheese, trimmed as needed to fit, adding any scraps to the top.
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully crack 1 egg inside each border. Return to the oven and continue to bake until eggs are set, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve at once.