Little Toasted Organic Ham Sandwich
Sure, it's a long name but a short sandwich. We used to call this recipe “Ham That Looks Like Bacon” - it consists of strips of meat and bread – but then our promotions people got involved and this name was the result. But that's beside the point.
A toasted ham sandwich is a unique treat (especially an organic toasted ham sandwich), and we love them “grilled,” but these old-fashioned ribbon sandwiches flavored with chutney butter can also be served untoasted.
Serves 4-6 | Total Time: Less Than 15 Mins
- ¼ lb. butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup mango chutney
- 6 slices of Applegate Organics® Black Forest Ham
- 9 slices thin white sandwich bread
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put aside 2 tablespoons of the butter to grill the sandwiches.
- Mix together the chutney and remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a small bowl until they are well mixed.
- Lay out the bread slices on a work surface and spread each slice with chutney-butter, making sure you spread right to the edge.
- Top the buttered side of a slice of bread with a piece of ham, and repeat, making a triple-decker sandwich.
- Use remaining bread and ham to make 2 more sandwiches.
- Cut off crusts and any overhanging ham, squaring off each sandwich.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Now, melt those 2 tablespoons of butter you put aside in a large non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add the sandwiches and cook on both sides until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and slice into thirds then cut each piece in half. Sprinkle with some minced chives or parsley.
It's okay to let out a giant “Mmmmmm.”