Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Sausage and Chickpeas
Suave and hearty, this soup makes a perfect one-dish supper. A bit of smoked paprika adds resounding depth.
Serves 4 | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, or to taste
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers (packed in water), drained and chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Applegate Organics® Sweet Italian Sausage, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup ditalini or other short, tubular pasta
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium heavy pot over medium heat. Add the celery, onions, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 10–12 minutes.
- Add the garlic and smoked paprika and cook 30 seconds more. Stir in the roasted red peppers and chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and, working in 2 batches, blend soup in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Alternatively, use an immersion blender to purée the soup.
- Return the soup to the pot and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the sausages and chickpeas and cook over medium-low heat until heated through and sausages are plump.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a small pot of well-salted boiling water until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain well, then return to the pot and toss with the chopped parsley and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Ladle the soup into 4 warmed soup bowls. Top each bowl of soup with some of the seasoned pasta and serve immediately.
- Keep the soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, and up to 1 month in the freezer.