Breakfast Enchiladas with Turkey Sausage
As featured in The Applegatarian.
A colorful change-up from the usual bacon and eggs, these easy enchiladas can be doubled or tripled for a larger crowd.
Serves 4 | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 1 (7-ounce) package APPLEGATE NATURALS® Savory Turkey Breakfast Sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 1 (5-ounce) package APPLEGATE ORGANICS® Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, chopped
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 4 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- Chop the sausages into ½-inch pieces. In a heavy skillet over moderate heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add the sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper until well combined. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Keeping the sausages in the skillet, add the remaining tablespoon oil to the skillet, then add the eggs and cook, stirring constantly, until softly set. Remove from the heat.
- Set a tortilla on your work surface. Add a spoonful of the sausage and egg mixture along the bottom third of the tortilla. Sprinkle some of the chopped cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese over the top.
- Snugly roll the tortilla around the filling. Arrange, seam side down, in a large gratin dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, eggs, and chopped cheese (you may not use all of the cheese).
- Pour the sauce evenly over the enchiladas and top with any remaining cheddar or Monterey Jack. Bake the enchiladas until bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Top the enchiladas with the cotija, avocado, scallions, radishes, and jalapeno. Serve at once.