Candied Bacon Pecan Bars
Candied bacon adds a spiced and salty surprise to these chewy, nutty bites. They’re incredibly easy to make (and to eat!).
Makes 48 bars | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2½ cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 recipe Pumpkin Pie Spice Candied Bacon, chopped
For the shortbread crust:
- 1½ sticks butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. To make the shortbread crust, combine the butter, flour, brown sugar, salt and egg in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture just comes together into a crumbly dough.
- Sprinkle the dough over the bottom of a 13-by-9 inch baking pan and use a metal spatula to press evenly into the pan. Bake the shortbread until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the brown sugar, maple syrup, cream and pumpkin pie spice and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute, then stir in the pecans and candied bacon.
- Remove from the heat. Pour the pecan mixture evenly over the hot shortbread. Bake until the pecan mixture is bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. When cool, cut into 48 (about 1- by 2-inch) bars. The bars will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.