Fried Green Tomato BLT
APPLEGATE NATURALS® Thick Cut Bacon makes the very best BLTs, which are made even more extraordinary with TWO types of tomatoes: the usual summer-ripe red and crisply-fried unripe greens. The first messy bite will have you licking your fingers and hoping for more.
Serves 3 | Total Time: Less Than 30 Mins
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup finely chopped chives
- 1–2 teaspoons favorite hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package APPLEGATE NATURALS® Thick-Cut Bacon
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unseasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green tomatoes, sliced
- 6 slices good sandwich bread, lightly toasted
- 3 large leaves leafy green lettuce
- 1 large ripe red tomato, sliced
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, chives, hot sauce, and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, place the flour and a ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a wide, shallow bowl and whisk to combine. Crack the egg in a second shallow bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir together the breadcrumbs and parsley in a third bowl. Dredge a green tomato slice in the flour, then the egg, and finally dip it in the breadcrumbs until coated. Transfer to a large plate or sheet pan, and repeat with the remaining green tomatoes.
- Return the skillet with the bacon grease to moderate heat. When hot, add as many tomato slices as will fit and cook, turning once, until golden brown all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Repeat with any remaining breaded tomatoes.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread one side of each piece of toast with some of the chive mayonnaise. Arrange the lettuce leaves over half of the pieces of toast, followed by the fried green tomatoes, the sliced red tomatoes, and bacon. Top with the remaining pieces of toast. Cut in half and serve at once.