Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onion Skewers
This playful take on the classic Jersey street fair combo can also be made as appetizers, threaded on smaller skewers.
As featured in The Applegatarian.
Serves 4 | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) bag pearl onions
- 1 (12-ounce) package APPLEGATE ORGANICS® Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
- 6 ounces shishito peppers 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the potatoes from the pan and transfer to a bowl.
- Return the water to a boil and add the pearl onions; boil for 2 minutes. Drain well. When just cool enough to handle, peel the onions. Set aside.
- Cut each sausage crosswise into 4 pieces. Thread the sausages on metal or wooden skewers, alternating with the potatoes, onions, and shishito peppers. Continue until all the ingredients have been used.
- Whisk together 4 tablespoons of the olive oil with the vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, garlic clove, dried oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a grill for cooking with moderate heat. Brush the skewers with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Grill the skewers, flipping occasionally, until browned in spots and the sausages are hot, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve at once, drizzled with the vinaigrette.