Malted Milk Cookies
As featured in Holiday 2023 issue of The Applegatarian.
"Starting in the 1960s, my grandmother would make these and her Fruitcake Cookies (recipe available in The Applegatarian 2022 Holiday Issue) every Christmas and give them as gifts. This was definitely a special occasion recipe, because we lived in a very rural small town and she would have to go to the nearest city and sometimes out of state to procure the malted milk powder." - Marcy Franks, Applegate Animal Welfare Specialist
The Applegatarian, an outlet where employees and advocates of the nation’s leading natural and organic meat brand dish about their favorite recipes, tips, products, partners and more.
Makes about 6 dozen cookies | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
For the cookies
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup malted milk powder
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
For the frosting
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup malted milk powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- To make the cookies, preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Mix in the brown sugar and beat until smooth. Add the eggs and beat well. Add half of the flour mixture along with the malted milk powder and mix well. Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix well. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix well. Stir in the nuts. Refrigerate dough, well wrapped, for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a ¼-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles. Arrange cookies on the lined baking sheets and bake until light golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- To make the frosting, combine the brown sugar, evaporated milk, and butter in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the powdered sugar, malted milk powder, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Frost cooled cookies with the frosting.