Sausage and Citrus Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing
Winter need not be all hearty stews and braises. This combination of juicy sausages, crisp, bitter greens, grapefruit and avocado, all dressed in a zingy carrot dressing, will both wake you up and satisfy you. The dressing makes more than you will need, but we love to have it on hand and it keeps well in the fridge.
For the dressing:
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 shallot, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh ginger
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
For the salad:
- 1 (12-ounce) package Applegate® Dinner Sausages
- 8 cups chopped mixed bitter salad greens, such as chicory, escarole, arugula and baby kale
- 2 ruby red grapefruits, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 4 to 6 radishes, thinly sliced
To make the dressing:
- Combine all the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use (dressing will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator).
To make the salad:
- Cook the sausages according to package instructions and slice.
- Arrange the salad greens on a large platter and top with the sliced grapefruit, avocado, radishes and sausages.
- Serve the dressing on the side so everyone can help themselves.