Wild Rice Pilaf with Squash, Greens and Bacon
Autumnal colors and flavors come together in this satisfying pilaf, which makes a delicious pairing with roast turkey or pork. Leftovers are delicious with fried eggs and hot sauce!
Serves 8 | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 4 ounces Applegate Naturals No-Sugar Bacon , chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into ½-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, ribs discarded and leaves chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the wild rice blend according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Cook the chopped bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until the fat begins to render, about 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and rice is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.