Are you ready for the Holidays?
By: Joel Harper
November 30, 2012
The holidays are upon us and that means life can get a bit out of control. Here are my top tips that I have learned throughout the years to help my clients stay focused and get through the holidays with energy and joy.
- DAILY EXERCISE: Never go a day without working out for 15 minutes. Do exercises that work multiple body parts at once and burn calories quickly. Ex: knee bounces, towel circles, running the stairs...
- EAT BREAKFAST: It kick starts the metabolism and will keep your energy levels soaring.
- PORTION CONTROL: When serving yourself, make sure food items don't touch each other on the plate.
- MULTITASK: When you have a list of errands to get done, figure out how to exercise at the same time. Ride your bike or run between them and bring a friend.
- WATER: If drinking alcohol, sip a 10 oz glass of water between each beverage.
- FAMOUS: Always dress like you are famous and the paparazzi are taking your picture! It will instantly make you want to be your best.
- SNACKING: Make carrying snacks a habit, so you don't get stuck somewhere and make an unhealthy choice. I always have a piece of fruit and protein bar in my backpack and APPLEGATE cheese and meat in my fridge.
- STRETCH: Everyone has tension; try to get rid of yours. If you have food in your teeth you would floss it right out, do the same with tightness.
- SILENCE: Close your eyes every day and repeat to yourself. "I have an abundance of energy and I am bringing JOY into every person that I come into contact with."
Here's a Bonus!
NO WORRIES: If you don't get your workout in or you eat something unhealthy, don't beat yourself up. This can negatively trickle into other categories. Counteract it with doing something positive.
Celebrity trainer Joel Harper has been developing custom workouts in New York City for 18 years. His clients range from Dr. Oz to Olympic Medalists who are striving for break-through performances to 10 year old kids just learning to appreciate their health. With a client list as diverse as his training methods, he regularly works with well-known actors preparing for new roles, musicians embarking on world tours and business executives desiring increased energy and strength. Joel has appeared in various publications from "O" magazine and Esquire to Bottomline Health. He has created all of the workout chapters for the New York Times best selling YOU BOOKS and the accompanying workout DVD's with Drs. Mehmet Oz and Michael Roizen and the popular FIT PACK DVD. Joel's unique workouts have been seen on various programs including: ABC & Fox News, Oprah, the Dr. Oz Show, Good Morning America, and Larry King. Joel is the creator of the PBS best selling DVD FIRMING AFTER 50 and the currently running SLIM & FIT. To learn more about Joel go to www.joelharperfitness.com