Bacon and Cheddar Toasties
As featured in Holiday 2023 issue of The Applegatarian.
These cheesy toasts studded with bacon take just minutes to pull together, and will be everyone's favorite. Though we serve them here as an appetizer, they can also be floated over your favorite soup (they're especially good on creamy tomato or butternut squash soup). Cut into smaller pieces, they make hearty croutons for green salads.
The Applegatarian, an outlet where employees and advocates of the nation’s leading natural and organic meat brand dish about their favorite recipes, tips, products, partners and more.
Makes 72 Appetizers | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 1 (8-ounce) package APPLEGATE NATURALS® SUNDAY BACON® bacon, finely chopped
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 18 slices very thin white sandwich bread
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- In a bowl, stir together the bacon, cheese, scallions, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt (the mixture should be almost paste-like).
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the bacon mixture evenly over each piece of bread. Arrange the breads on baking sheets and freeze for about 15 minutes (this will make them easier to cut; you can also freeze the breads completely, then transfer them to an airtight container and freeze them for up to 1 month).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the breads from the freezer and cut each in half diagonally and then in half again, to make 4 triangles. Arrange on the lined baking sheets.
- Bake until golden brown and well toasted, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and arrange on serving platters. Garnish with chopped chives and serve at once.