Bostonian Baked Beans
Congratulations to our Sausage Fest Contest winner, Jennifer O. from Massachusetts, who submitted a New England recipe for her homemade baked beans with bacon … and then turn it into good ole Frank 'n' Beans!
(We wouldn't get our Bostonian bean secrets from anywhere but the locals.)
Serves 12 | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
- 1 lb. organic dried navy beans
- 4 slices Applegate Organics® Sunday Bacon® Brand
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄3-1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages Applegate Organics® Hot Dogs
- Rinse beans well.
- Place in large bowl and add enough cold water to cover the beans by 2 inches.
- Let beans soak at least 8-12 hours (longer is fine, too).
- Drain and rinse beans; place in heavy kettle (cast iron works great).
- Add enough cold water to cover the beans by one inch.
- Bring to slow simmer, skimming the surface often to remove foam. While beans are simmering, heat oven to 300-325 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a skillet; drain strips on paper towels, reserving the fat in the pan.
- After beans have simmered slowly 20-30 minutes, chop the bacon and add it to the beans.
- Stir in some or all of the reserved bacon fat, if desired.
- Stir in maple syrup, barbecue sauce, onion, mustard and salt.
- Return mixture to a simmer.
- Cover pot tightly and bake until beans are fully tender, 3 - 4 hours.
You may serve the beans right away, but they will taste even better if you: a.) leave them in a warm oven for a couple hours; b.) let them cool down completely and then reheat them; or c.) cool and refrigerate them overnight.
- Once you have your tasty baked beans, slice up your hot dogs so they look like coins.
- Toss them into the prepared baked beans and let them cook on medium heat for about another 15 minutes.
If you have a crock pot, it is easier to put the beans and franks in it - that way if you are going to tailgate or a potluck, you can safely transport and keep this hearty healthy meal warm and ready!
You can make batches and freeze a whole bunch. It keeps very well, and can be reheated in oven, on stove, or in the microwave. It’s a great meal that warms your belly and keeps it felling full. Low fat, organic, and scrumptious!
In This Recipe
Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Turkey Hot Dog™ BrandView product | View recipes
Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog™ Brand - 10ozView product | View recipes
Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Chicken Hot Dog™ BrandView product | View recipes