Little Lettuces with Hard Boiled Eggs & Ham
Adding little arugula leaves give a peppery flavor to this delicate but satisfying salad. But any mixture of little lettuce leaves will be delicious.
- 4 handfuls young spring lettuces, like arugula, Lola Rosa, or any other little leaves you find in the market
- 2 - 3 tablespoons of Caesar dressing of choice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4-ounce package Applegate Naturals® Slow Cooked Ham, (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Wash the lettuce in a large bowl or a sink-full of cold water, lifting the leaves out of the water leaving any dirt to settle on the bottom of the bowl or sink.
- Shake off any water from the leaves or use a salad spinner, wrap the leaves in paper towels then store in plastic bags in the refrigerator.
- Greens can be prepped several days ahead of use.
For the Eggs:
- Mix together the mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl.
- Thickly spread the cut-side of the eggs with the mayonnaise and season with pepper to your taste. (Here’s a tip: Put 8 dabs of mayonnaise on a dinner plate. Set the eggs on top of the “dabs” to hold them steady and keep them upright.)
- Pile the chopped ham on top of each egg and garnish generously with chives.
- Set aside while you make the dressing.
To assemble the salad:
- Put the lettuce in a large bowl, add the dressing, and toss together until the leaves are well coated.
- Arrange the dressed lettuce on individual plates or a large platter and add the eggs.
Where are you gonna find a recipe featuring natural ham that makes you feel like you're really, really giving in to your every temptation? Right here.