Cuban Sandwich Empanadas
The flavors of a Cuban sandwich couldn’t be more comforting and satisfying—ham, swiss, zingy mustard and pickles. The twist here is that they are presented in a crisp empanada shell. If you want to make these well ahead of Game Day, assemble them and freeze in a single layer on the baking sheet until firm, then transfer to a resealable plastic bag and store in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. Bake from frozen for an extra 5 minutes than called for below.
Makes 10 | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 1 (10-count) package empanada discs, about 5 inches in diameter, defrosted
- ¼ cup grainy mustard
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Naturals® Emmentaler Swiss Cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package Applegate Naturals® Black Forest Ham
- 3 dill pickles, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the empanada discs out on a work surface. Spread about 1 teaspoon mustard over the center of each disc, making sure to leave the edges clean.
- Stack the cheese slices neatly and cut through them with a 3 1/2- to 4-inch round cookie cutter. Separate the cheese rounds and lay 1 piece on each disc.
- Stack the ham slices neatly and cut through them with the cookie cutter. Separate the ham rounds and lay over the cheese. Save the ham and cheese scraps for another use.
- Lay a few pickle slices in the middle of each empanada. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of each disc. Fold the discs in half and squeeze to seal. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Brush the top of each empanada with some of the egg wash.
- Bake in the oven until the empanadas are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot.