French Onion Soup with Crispy Bacon Topping
Does this classic really need a description? We think not, but you'll be happy to give this recipe a try.
Serves 6 | Total Time: Less Than 15 Mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large Vidalia yellow onions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 6 slices Applegate Naturals® Sunday Bacon® Brand cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon. gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 slices of gluten-free bread, toasted and cut into ¼ inch “crouton” pieces
- 6 slices Applegate Naturals® Emmentaler Swiss Cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sugar; cook until onions start to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until browned, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat, place onto a paper towel to cool.
- Add gluten-free flour, sherry, beef stock and thyme to the onion mixture; bring to a simmer. Cook for 40 minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer soup into six ovenproof soup bowls on a baking pan. Place crouton pieces over each bowl of soup. Lay a slice of cheese over the croutons in each bowl, and place under the broiler until cheese is melted and crusty brown around the edges. Top with bacon.
- Serve hot.