Pumpkin-Shaped Crisped Rice Treats
These ridiculously cute crisped rice treats swap out the traditional butter (or margarine) for bacon fat, which lends a slightly savory note and helps balance out all that “marshmallowy” sweetness. Cooking an 8-ounce package of Applegate Naturals® Sunday Bacon® Brand will give you just what you need to make this recipe.
Makes 12 | Total Time: Less Than 30 Mins
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat from Applegate Naturals® Sunday Bacon® Brand or Applegate Naturals® No Sugar Bacon
- 1 (10-ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
- Orange food coloring, optional
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal
- Orange sparkling sugar, optional
- 12 miniature peanut butter cups, other chocolate candy or pretzel nibs
- 12 (3-inch) strands green licorice
- Melt the bacon fat in a large deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir with a rubber spatula until melted and smooth. If desired, stir in a few drops of food coloring to tint the mixture orange.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cereal until completely combined.
- Working quickly, roll the mixture into 12 balls, flattening slightly to make a pumpkin shape. If you like, sprinkle some sparkling sugar over the “pumpkins.”
- Top each with a peanut butter cup for a stem and a curled piece of licorice for a vine.
- The treats will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.