Nopales (also known as cactus paddles) are most commonly used in Mexican cuisine and resemble the taste of green beans or asparagus. We’ve used nopales as a hot dog topping and paired it with other ingredients that can be found in Sonoran cuisine like Cotija cheese. You can also swap out Cotija cheese with our Applegate Naturals® Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese.
8 Topped Hot Dogs | Total Time: Less Than 30 Mins
For Hot Dogs, Nopales, and Cotija Cheese:
• 1 pack Applegate Hot Dogs – Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog™ Brand
• 1 pack of your Favorite Hot Dog Buns
• 1 - 15oz. jar prepared Nopales
• 1 – 7oz. wedge Cotija Cheese or Applegate Naturals® Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
For Guajillo Sauce:
• 8 Guajillo Chilies, dry, stemmed, seeded, and torn into pieces
• 1- 14.5oz. can of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
• 3- Garlic Cloves, peeled and chopped
• 1 Cup- Hot Water
• 1 Fresh Lime
Nopales and Cotija Cheese:
1. Drain jar of Nopales, set aside.
2. Grate wedge of Cotija Cheese, set aside.
1. Toast chilies in a dry skillet, about 20 seconds per side. Transfer them to a bowl with hot tap water. Cover the bowl to allow to steam for 20 minutes.
2. Using tongs, transfer chilies to blender. Add 1 cup of the water to the blender. Add the tomatoes and garlic to the blender. Puree, then strain through a mesh strainer.
3. Cook puree in a medium sauce pan for about 5-7 minutes, until hot and slightly thickened. Add juice of half of the lime.
1. Prepare hot dog to your liking. Place on bun.
2. Top each hot dog with 4-5 strips of Nopales
3. Add desired amount of Guajillo sauce to each hot dog
4. Sprinkle Cotija cheese on top of each hot dog.