Savory Bacon Bread Pudding
This puffed and golden bread pudding— eggy, cheesy and studded with bacon—works equally well at the brunch or dinner table.
Serves 4 to 6 | Total Time: Less Than 60 Mins
- 1 package Applegate Naturals ® Thick Cut Bacon
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups cubed challah bread (1 inch)
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Cook bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain, then chop.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from skillet. Increase heat to medium-high and cook onions and garlic, stirring constantly, until golden, 1–2 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir bacon, onions, bread and cheese into the custard.
- Transfer to baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake until golden in spots, about 10 minutes more. Serve warm.