Three-Bean Turkey Chili
This chili is a good reminder that our APPLEGATE ORGANICS® Turkey Burgers can be used just like a regular ground turkey: break up the burgers with a wooden spoon as they cook with all the veggies.
Serves 6 | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) package APPLEGATE ORGANICS® Turkey Burgers, not defrosted
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 4 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 (15-ounce) cans beans, preferably a mix of black, pinto and navy beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over moderately high heat. Add the onion, celery, bell peppers, jalapeno and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Add the frozen burgers to the pot and cook, breaking up the burgers with a wooden spoon, until burger meat is crumbled and no longer pink, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the water and tomatoes and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the sweet potato and beans and simmer gently until the sweet potato is tender and the chili has thickened a bit, 30-40 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.