Tucson Dog: Bacon-Wrapped with Pinto Beans, Grilled Onions and Pico de Gallo
The Sonoran-style hot dogs popular in Arizona usually start with a bacon-wrapped hot dog before any number of toppings —beans, chile sauce, salsa, guacamole, not to mention ketchup and mustard—are piled on. We like the relative simplicity of this satisfying version, but feel free to add on any extras that you like.
Watch the videoTucson Dog
Makes 8 | Total Time: More Than 60 Mins
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1–2 tablespoons milk or buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices Applegate Naturals® Sunday Bacon® Brand
- 1 package Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog™ Brand
- 4–8 fresh jalapeños
- 1 package hot dog buns, toasted
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans (homemade or canned), warmed
- Pico de gallo (see recipe below)
Pico de Gallo
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- ½ small white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½–1 fresh jalapeño, minced
- Wrap 1 slice of bacon around each hot dog, using wooden picks to help it stick, if needed.
- Grill the bacon-wrapped hot dogs until the bacon is crisp. At the same time, grill the whole jalapeños until softened and blackened in parts.
- Let cool slightly, then cut in half lengthwise.
- To serve, remove any wooden picks from the hot dogs and arrange the hot dogs in the toasted buns.
- Top hot dogs with some of the warmed pinto beans and onions.
- Top with a spoonful of pico de gallo and a drizzle of crema. Serve with the grilled jalapeños.
- Stir together the sour cream and milk in a small bowl (you want the crema to be the consistency of thin yogurt).
- Set aside while you finish the hot dogs.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden-brown and softened, 8–10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
Pico de Gallo
When it comes to making a great pico de gallo, the most important thing is finding the ripest, tastiest tomatoes you can.
- Stir together the tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and jalapeño.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving, for flavors to come together.
In This Recipe
Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Turkey Hot Dog™ BrandView product | View recipes
Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dog™ Brand - 10ozView product | View recipes
Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Uncured Chicken Hot Dog™ BrandView product | View recipes